Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Little Give and Take

Last night I had dinner with a friend. Somehow we started talking about relationships and we both agreed that a relationship is better when there is mutual give and take. 

When I get into a relationship, I have a lot of fun trying to find ways to give to the guy I am dating. Whether it is cooking a meal, putting dishes away while he is studying, buying a little something for him or writing a note and leaving it on his car, I love to give. But I often forget that I need to receive as well, and I put my needs aside until one day I wonder why I am the only one giving in the relationship. Of course, it would help if I communicated this to the guy before it got to the point where I was disappointed. 

So, there you have it future man in my life. I'd love attention and your giving to me as much as I give to you. That doesn't mean gifts. It means the whole range of giving; from your time, your attention, little things I would appreciate you doing or surprising me with a little something now and then. That's all. Good relationships need that reciprocal give and take and I can't wait until I can give {and take} again.

1 comment:

  1. So true, that we have to actually communicate our wants and needs. The other person in our relationships don't aways know what we want/need despite the fact that it can seem so obvious to us. Great reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete