Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dream {Nightmare}

As anyone in my family will tell you (and likely many ex-boyfriends) I am a vivid dreamer. I remember the most mundane details in dreams. When I was younger, I would tell my family about my dreams and include each little detail from the color of a shirt to what people in the background were doing who didn't play an actual role in my dream. 

Most of the time my dreams are bizarre and make me wonder what is really going on in my head such that I have to nightly decompress and rid my mind of all the useless bits of stress and information overload I take in each day. 

So I had a dream last night. {I promise I won't go into the details such as the color of the table cloths (white with red ribbons) or the time of day (4:48 when I last looked at a clock on the wall)...}

In my dream my family sat me down and told me frankly that they were tired of me being single. So, my wedding was that Saturday. I had 5 days to plan, get a dress, get invitations out, food, and...tell the guy that he had to show up to marry me. Who was this unsuspecting but incredibly lucky man? One of my exes to be exact {let's call him Stan since I've never dated a Stan}.

My family had found a reception hall where the bride who rented it didn't have enough money to rent the whole place and was willing to let me have a portion of the dining hall for a relatively small fee and the insertion of a paper wall. Classy, I know. {Fortunately we had the paper wall or our colors would have horribly clashed my sister told me}. 

I went dress shopping and found the most gaudy dress my mind could dream up and then instead of invitations, we called and emailed a select group of 57 people. 

The day before the wedding I realized I had not yet told Stan. I realized that Saturdays Stan would be teaching skiing and that it was highly unlikely he would show up for our wedding. I didn't call. I didn't tell my family I didn't call. 

The day of the wedding shows up and we decide to eat first because, in a dream you can do whatever you want. All the guests were there and music started to play to announce the happy to-be bride and groom. The doors opened and ... I walked in shaking my head looking down at the ground in a black outfit with a white sash. I couldn't look anyone in the eyes. Apparently,  once again, I had failed to produce a man who would marry me. {I don't remember ever having been in this situation before, but my thought in the dream leads me to believe that my 'dream self' had experienced this humiliation before}.

We all ate, cleaned up and left. 

I woke up in a cold sweat. 

This dream could have lots of meanings. But I choose to interpret it this way: Don't ever let my family rent out part of a reception hall and give me less than 1 week to plan a wedding and inform an unknowing groom he is about to marry me. 

I think I have a pretty good chance at avoiding this dream in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment