Monday, March 28, 2011

Genuinely Happy

Several years ago one of my sisters told me that I need to look for a guy that makes me genuinely happy and that isn't afraid to show his affection for me {she used the term "can't keep his hands off you" -but my parents read this blog so it felt uncouth to write that ;)}. 

I thought I had experienced this kind of guy. I thought I had been really happy in past relationships. But here's the thing. I know each time I started dating a guy and I would ask myself if I was genuinely happy, there was almost always a pause to figure out if I was. Not a good sign in hindsight. The answer should be an automatic and enthusiastic YES!!!! If it isn't then maybe there is something missing. 

It is so difficult to know what is working and what isn't working in a relationship. It is scary to end things that appear to be working -not fabulously but well enough. I know, I've been there. But settling for just happy instead of genuinely happy shouldn't be on the list of things you will settle for. At least I don't think so.

I can say that looking back, I lacked this enthusiastic response. I couldn't say I was genuinely happy with any guy. Happy yes, but happy with a bit of hesitation. 

I'm so glad to say that my response to the question of whether I am genuinely happy today is YES YES YES! And it feels so great to finally know what my sister was telling me to look for.  :)

1 comment:

  1. That is so fun Kara! You radiate happiness, he is a great guy and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete