Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Living in the present {as a biker chick}

For those of you who know me, you know that this past weekend I did something I never thought I would actually do. I went on a full blown motorcycle tour. Yep. Did it. Me. And it was a-freakin-mazing! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Seriously.

A couple friends of mine invited me to join them for a 4-day biker adventure. I was hesitant at first since the whole “you can die” and “there is nothing between you and the road” thoughts kept running through my head, along with pictures of the results... But I decided, why not?!? And I’m so happy I did it.

I’m trying to live more in the present. One of my New Year resolutions for 2011 was to take more control of my life and to live in the now and not look back or too far forward. I seem to get stuck in the “what if” of life as far as past choices and then trying to predict the “what if’s” of the future. It gets really tiring and very difficult to live like that; and really it’s so utterly unproductive.What happened is gone and what is going to happen is really going to be far more shaped by my choices and actions today so why not just live life and enjoy it?

The weekend was great in so many ways. First, I did something entirely new and unexpected. We took scenic roads and traveled in a group of 3 motorcycles and I was geared up from head to toe (yep, even leather chaps ;) –which I learned really do keep you warm). I felt totally Bad-A. {I think I looked it too with my fake tat sleeve and spike bracelet.} 

Second, I was with people I knew a little but had never really spent a lot of time with them. Normally in those situations I am a bit reserved and try to make a really great impression. But in light of my goal, I decided to really make an effort just to be myself –including all my less glamorous and geeky traits. 

Third, I let myself have fun, real fun without holding back. 

I cannot remember a trip that I’ve had where I had so much fun and where I felt really bonded and connected with the people I was with. I lived in the present so much more than I normally allow myself to. I let it all hang out and you know what? I learned that I’m happier and more content with myself when I’m not trying so freaking hard all the time. And it turns out people understand our {my} flaws and our {my} quirks a lot more than we {I} give them credit for. 

Crazy how when we allow others to see us for who we really are, it turns out that we can be far more accepting of the quirkiness or "flaws" of others. Living in the present has turned out to be a fantastic goal that has reaped major benefits … and it’s only February! Can’t wait to see what is next :). 


1 comment:

  1. I love, love, LOVE this post! Kara, you have some major guts, on so many levels! Lets talk about how I want to be like you! I love this goal! You really are a "Bad A"!

    ReplyDelete