Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day Remix

This is a strange day for us single people. It comes and goes and there is that little bit of angst that accompanies with the reminders of flowers, love, chocolates and romance. But this year I decided that was going to be a great day. After all, I have love in my life, even if it isn’t the romantic kind.

People have re-named this day “Single Awareness Day” in an effort to emphasize how lousy this day makes ‘us singles’ feel. But think about it. Yeah, singles don’t have a significant someone who is making them feel gloriously special today, but we have a lot of stuff {hopefully} going on in our lives. We have friends, an element of freedom married people don’t have {which, let’s be honest, is a really really great thing sometimes}, jobs, time and family.

My sister wrote on her blog “Valentines…Not just for lovers.” She’s married with fantastic kids but she gets that it is more than what is often hammered into us by the media, stores and even family and friends. It really isn’t just for lovers and I’m not just saying that to make myself feel better.

The Valentines day symbol is the heart. It’s a symbol to help us recognize the love we DO have in our lives. Instead of feeling blue today for what I don’t have, I am so grateful for all the love I do have in my life. I’m loved by family and friends. I firmly believe that the more open I am to feeling the love of those around me, the happier I will be and in turn will be more open to loving others and loving that hopeful future man in my life. My heart is tied to the hearts of so many others. How could this day not be amazing?

Quoting one of my favorite childhood movies “Don’t you just love, love?” (Savanna Smiles). Yes, as a matter of fact I do just love love.

1 comment:

  1. Love it Kara. Thanks for the reminder that this day is dumb and owned by Hallmark and chocolate companies, but it is also a day to remember those who love us best. Cheers to you and all the hearts who adore you!!

    ReplyDelete